His new hero, brushing aside Bryan A. Garner, is the person who registered http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/ to call attention to rampant misspelling of that word. The site is one simple page listing the most common misspellings of definitely and carrying a link to a site selling T-shirts, mugs, etc., that urge care with the word.
Mr. Rewrite decided to run the site's misspellings list through Google News to see how those paid to get it right handle definitely. The results (misspellings and error rates):
- definately: 207 misspellings; 0.21 percent.
- definatly: 20 misspellings; 0.02 percent.
- definantly: 7 misspellings; 0.007 percent.
- definetly: 52 misspellings; 0.05 percent.
- definently: 4 misspellings; 0.004 percent.
To the media's credit, civilians fare much, much, much worse. Using the misspellings from http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/, the error rate on both Google Blogsearch and regular Google is a jaw-dropping 24 percent.
You definitely should look this one up to avoid botching it.